On Monday, 9 September, the ST Engineering iDirect Africa sales team held a Defence Technology Day at the rustic Diep in die Berg Conference Centre, nestled in the Bronberg Mountain range in Pretoria, South Africa. The 70 attendees consisted of military personnel, defence integrators, service providers, and others.
The morning conference session spurred some lively discussions and covered topics such as:
- Considerations for a Modern Defence Network
- Government Solutions
- Securing your Network
- Challenges of today’s SWaP Optimized Terminals
The afternoon session was a valuable networking opportunity with hands-on product demos of the latest technology solutions.
- iDirect 9-Series remotes: defence-grade remotes featuring a FIPS 140-2 Level 3 certified TRANSEC module for reliable and secure critical communications
- iDirect iQ Series remotes: DVB-S2/DVB-S2X, high-performance, efficient remotes for a variety of government and commercial applications
- Agilis Tri-Band Manpack: a quickly deployable 1-meter antenna flyaway solution with one-touch acquisition
- Kymeta u7 Terminal: first electronically scanning, flat-panel satellite solution for fixed and mobile applications
- Cobham EXPLORER 8100 drive-away and EXPLORER 5075GX fly-away systems: rugged, portable and ideal for satellite news gathering (SNG), oilfield services, emergency services and mobile office applications
- hiSky Smartellite™ Terminals: low-cost voice, data, and IoT satellite communication in a compact form factor
Our Defense Technology Day kicked off a 10-day Mobility Roadshow by ST Engineering iDirect veterans Hendrik “Buks” Beukes, senior professional services engineer, and Jurie Geldenhuys, systems engineer, as they drove 5,770 km across the countries of South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and circled back to South Africa.
The rented vehicle was outfitted with the Cobham and Kymeta antennas powered by iDirect remotes allowing the duo to stay connected while on the road with customers, ST Engineering iDirect headquarters in Virginia, USA, and most importantly, their families. Buks and Jurie visited 29 customers and 104 total attendees at various stops along the way. A special thanks to Concerotel, Satcom, Paratus, and Zambia Revenue Authority for generously hosting the meetings and inviting their customers to learn about our iDirect mobility solutions.
Check out the Africa Mobility Roadshow video for highlights from the team’s adventures!