Strategic partnership integrates breakthrough MEO constellation innovations with next-generation ground technology to enable flexible service delivery
Herndon, Va., November 3, 2020 – ST Engineering iDirect, a global leader in satellite communications, has announced that it will provide its high-performance ground infrastructure for O3b mPOWER, SES’s next-generation Medium Earth Orbit (MEO) communications system. Pairing ST Engineering iDirect’s breakthrough ground technology with spacecraft innovations, O3b mPOWER will enable a flexible, low-latency, high-speed, fiber-like experience for industry segments that include telcommunications/Mobile Network Operator, government, aerospace, cruise, offshore energy, mining and commercial shipping.
The O3b mPOWER system is a critical innovation milestone for the satellite industry. ST Engineering iDirect’s high-performance ground technology is key to optimizing the end-to-end capabilities of the MEO constellation for delivery of highly efficient networks with highly reliable services.
The integration of SES and ST Engineering iDirect technologies results in a powerful feature set, including:
- Space-to-ground integration to deliver maximum flexibility: ST Engineering iDirect’s dynamic ground system, combined with SES’s O3b mPOWER satellites and the differentiated resource management capability of Adaptive Resource Control (ARC), enables the dynamic control and optimization of power, throughput, beams and frequency allocation across the entire system, resulting in the efficient delivery of low-latency, satellite-based data services with a superior end-user experience.
- Unprecedented scalability and dynamic allocation of resources: Facilitated through the highly flexible, virtualized hub and baseband that can independently scale gigahertz, gigabits, and number of carriers.
- End-to-end service orchestration and automation: Seamless integration into overall satellite and terrestrial hybrid networks based on open architectures and standardized platform APIs reduces operational complexities and ensures that services are implemented in an automated, expedient and seamless manner as needed.
- Proven DVB-S2X and award-winning Mx-DMA waveforms: Highly optimized for throughput, efficiency and availability on both the forward and return channels to enable carrier-grade performance previously only achievable over fiber networks, scalable up to multiple gigabits-per-second for fixed and mobility applications.
- Powerful terminal portfolio for every market and application: The existing MDM5010 satellite modem, suited to extreme bandwidth applications, will be complemented with a next generation series of Non Geostationary Satellite Orbit (NGSO) capable modems.
“The ground segment is integral to bringing O3b mPOWER to life, and our companies, which have a long-standing partnership, share a common vision for technology and service innovation which we are taking to a critical next level,” said Thomas Van den Driessche, President and CCO at ST Engineering iDirect. “This opportunity allows us to reinforce our collaboration with SES and take further steps towards achieving our vision of a GSO and NGSO, multi-access platform to deliver next-generation services and applications enabled by emerging 5G standards.”
“Our partnership with ST Engineering iDirect will serve to reinforce our vision of high-throughput, high- efficiency networks based on open, standardized architectures that enable the delivery of fully automated and orchestrated services,” said Stewart Sanders, EVP, Technology and O3b mPOWER Program Lead, SES. “Their proven technology and innate understanding of next-generation ground ecosystem requirements will enable us to harness the potential of O3b mPOWER to offer differentiated services across land, sea and air.”
ST Engineering North America is the U.S. headquarters of ST Engineering, a global technology, defense and engineering group specializing in the aerospace, electronics, land systems, and marine sectors. Based in Alexandria, VA, it has major operations across 17 cities in 13 states and employs about 5,500 people providing innovative products and solutions to commercial and government customers across diverse market segments.
ST Engineering iDirect, a subsidiary of ST Engineering North America, is a global leader in satellite communications (satcom) providing technology and solutions that enable its customers to expand their business, differentiate their services and optimize their satcom networks. Through the merger with Newtec, a recognized industry pioneer, the combined business unites over 35 years of innovation focused on solving satellite’s most critical economic and technology challenges and expands a shared commitment to shaping the future of how the world connects. The product portfolio, branded under the names iDirect and Newtec, represents the highest standards in performance, efficiency and reliability, making it possible for its customers to deliver the best satcom connectivity experience anywhere in the world. ST Engineering iDirect is the world’s largest TDMA enterprise VSAT manufacturer and is the leader in key industries including broadcast, mobility and military/government. In 2007, iDirect Government was formed to better serve the U.S. government and defense communities. For more information please visit www.idirect.net.
SES has a bold vision to deliver amazing experiences everywhere on earth by distributing the highest quality video content and providing seamless connectivity around the world. As the leader in global content connectivity solutions, SES operates the world’s only multi-orbit constellation of satellites with the unique combination of global coverage and high performance, including the commercially-proven, low-latency Medium Earth Orbit O3b system. By leveraging a vast and intelligent, cloud-enabled network, SES is able to deliver high-quality connectivity solutions anywhere on land, at sea or in the air, and is a trusted partner to the world’s leading telecommunications companies, mobile network operators, governments, connectivity and cloud service providers, broadcasters, video platform operators and content owners. SES’s video network carries over 8,300 channels and has an unparalleled reach of 367 million households, delivering managed media services for both linear and non-linear content. The company is listed on Paris and Luxembourg stock exchanges (Ticker: SESG). Further information is available at www.ses.com.
Vice President, Corporate Marketing
ST Engineering iDirect
Phone: +1 703 727-7588
Tel. +352 710 725 500