Commercial airlines are rapidly discovering the advantage of in-flight connectivity. It’s absolutely essential to compete for the loyalty of more than one billion people who travel each year. Nearly every major airline has rolled out, or is planning to install, some form of in-flight connectivity service. The question now is how to maximize the technology to create business value. And that varies across a wide variety of applications, from passenger Wi-Fi and entertainment services to new ways for improving airplane operations.
To offer such broadband connectivity solutions Service Providers will need to manage a complex network of various satellites and beams in order to have constant coverage during various flight routes. iDirect’s platform provides such flexibility. It’s fundamental system design and its ability to handle unique high-speed COTM challenges make it the right platform for service providers looking to build the most complete and scalable solution for commercial aero.
The platform is designed to deliver high-quality broadband connectivity wherever and whenever it’s needed. Built around DVB-S2/ACM and Adaptive TDMA the system allocates bandwidth efficiently over distributed networks, while automatically adjusting to dynamic traffic demands and changing network conditions. The iDirect platform features high-performance VSAT router boards designed for special integration onboard the aircraft.
The iDirect platform is also distinguished by a comprehensive range of advanced mobility technologies, such as:
- Automatic Beam Switching. An aircraft can automatically connect to satellite beams as it travels across multiple footprints without the need for manual intervention.
- Global Network Management System. Airlines can track each onboard remote with a consistent IP address to monitor its status and ensure a high-quality connection.
- Group Quality of Service. Airlines can manage the use of bandwidth across an airline’s entire fleet to prioritize service levels based on multiple criteria, including bandwidth profiles for individual aircraft or even specific onboard applications.
- Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum. iDirect’s spread spectrum waveform mitigates satellite interference common with ultra-small antennas or phased-array antennas, while maintaining a reliable and efficient link.
- OpenAMIP. An industry wide, open-source IP based protocol that facilitates the exchange of information between the airborne antenna and the satellite router.
Evolution is an IP-based satellite communications system engineered to deliver the highest quality broadband connectivity wherever and whenever it’s needed. The product line positions operators and service providers for long-term growth and success with the ability to access a wide range of markets, effectively manage operational and capital costs and create unique value for customers.
Find out more
iDirect Velocity™ was developed for satellite operators that require a ground infrastructure platform designed specifically around the unique attributes of high throughput satellite (HTS) spot-beam architecture to support their plans to offer managed services. iDirect Velocity™ enables a high throughput satellite (HTS) operator to quickly address market requirements for fixed and mobile applications with maximum flexibility and the lowest risk.
Find out more